- ½ kg Chevon boneless Goat Meat, cut into small pieces
- 250 gms potatoes, cut into fourths
- 3 large onions
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 4 cm long piece of ginger
- 2 large tomatoes, pureed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (haldi) powder
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup water
- Coriander leaves, for garnish
For masala paste
- 1 tablespoon poppy (khus khus) seeds
- 1 stick cinnamon (dalcini)
- 4 cloves (lavang)
- 15 black peppercorns
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera) seeds
- 4 dry red chillis
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- Grind the onions, garlic, and ginger together into a paste. Heat oil in a pressure cooker bottom. Add the onion paste and fry over medium heat until golden brown.
- While onion paste is cooking, get masala paste ready. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a small frying pan and roast all the dry spices. Grind to a paste along with the coconut. Keep for later.
- Once onion masala is ready, add the pureed tomatoes. Cook, stirring frequently till tomatoes are cooked and change color. Now add the turmeric powder and some salt. Now add the mutton and bhuno/stir fry the mutton in the masala till the mutton gives out some juices, about 10 minutes. Now add the potatoes, ground coconut masala paste, tamarind paste, sugar, and 1 cup water.
- Bring to a boil, close the pressure cooker lid and cook at high pressure for 2 whistles. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 15 more minutes. Once pressure has released, open cooker. Check salt and seasonings. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve.