- Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku – 1 tsp
- Urad dal / Ulundu Paruppu – 1 tsp
- Onion – 1 medium size chopped finely
- Curry leaves a small handful
- Drumstick Leaves / Murungai Keerai – 2 cups
- Baby Prawns / Kooni – 300 grams
- Salt to taste
Fresh Coconut – 1 cup Grated
Dry Red Chilli – 4
Garlic – 2 pods
Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam – 1 tsp
- Start by washing the baby prawns really well, there will be lots of sand on them. Squeeze all the water and set aside.
- Grind the ingredients given for the masala to a coarse mix, don’t add water.
- Heat oil in an earthernware ‘kadai.’ When they are hot, add in mustard and urad dal and let them pop.
- Add in onions, curry leaves and saute for a couple of mins. Add salt and saute again for a couple of mins.
- Now add in the drumstick leaves and saute for a couple of mins. They will wilt immediately.
- Once they are wilted, add in the baby prawns and mix well.
- Saute this for 5 mins or so on a very high heat.
- Now add in the ground masala and toss well for another 2 to 3 mins on high heat.
- Serve this with rice