- 2 cups frozen peas
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the Lemon Buttercream:
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ½ cups powdered icing sugar
- Zest and juice of ½ a lemon
- Preheat the oven to 160C/325F. Grease and line two 9” cake pans
- Boil the peas for a few minutes, drain, refresh under cold water and puree until completely smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then beat in the cooled pea puree, vanilla, zest and lemon juice.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and stir to gently combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tins, push to the edges and level, then bake for 25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the tins and then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
For the icing:
- In a large bowl, cream the butter until fluffy.
- Add in the icing sugar and beat.
- Beat in the zest and a little of the lemon juice.
- Add more lemon juice to make it a frosting consistency and beat again.
- Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Spread a little of the buttercream between the layers of the completely cooled cakes and sandwich together.
- Cover the cake in the remaining buttercream and decorate with pea shoots and lemon zest.